Featured post

Devon Apple Cake - Award Winning Recipe

This is a regular autumnal warmer in our house that is dead simple to make and uses up at least one or two of your surplus cooking apples at...

Thursday, 21 July 2011

Perfect Summer Loaf: Fougasse Made with a Bread Maker


...and I was pretty happy with the results. Delicious served alongside a Tapas-y lunch of olives, ripe summer tomatoes, Serrano ham and some rocket and salty cheese.  This is a traditional 'focaccia' type loaf originally from Provence in the South of France.  I like it's salty soft texture that is rich with olive oil.

I used dried 'Herbes de Provence' from a cloth bag.  They included some delicious sprinkles of fennel and lavender.

Ingredients

475g strong white flour
1.5 teasp salt
3 tbsp fresh chopped herbs / 1.5 teasp dried mixed herbs
1.25 teasp fast-action yeast
4 tablespoons olive oil
250 ml water

Place in breadmaker.  Set to basic dough (This takes 2 hours in a Panasonic).
Form into two flat shapes and slit with knife.
Leave to rise for 30 mins.
Bake at 220 degrees Celsius or 8-10 mins.
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle on sea salt.

5 comments:

Beth (Jam and Clotted Cream) said...

I'd be happy with the results too - bet they tasted great. Perfect for tapas

countrywoodsmoke said...

One of my favourite loaves, I love them dipped into olive oil and balsamic vinegar, ideal tapas bread
cheers
Marcus

Liz said...

That sounds and looks wonderful, one of my favourites too and I often use my bread maker just for dough - it does the hard bits and I get the fun stuff..
Liz

Janice said...

Looks lovely!

Grazing Kate said...

Thanks to all for your positive comments - it really is worth a try - and so easy too.