Featured post

Devon Apple Cake - Award Winning Recipe

This is a regular autumnal warmer in our house that is dead simple to make and uses up at least one or two of your surplus cooking apples at...

Friday, 30 March 2012

Foodie Penpals - The UK Version - My Scrummy Parcel

I heard through the blogging grapevine that Rock Salt was arranging a Foodie Penpals scheme, based on the idea of the US blogger The Lean Green Bean .

Each person is allocated a penpal and sends them a parcel of food based items to the value of about £10 and you get sent one from someone else.

My parcel randomly and bizarrely came from Chilli and Chai.  Now I have to declare an interest....Chilli and Chai is a Devon mate of mine anyway so I felt secretly pleased that she would know the kind of stuff I liked and my hopes were certainly fulfilled.



 What a whole heap of wickedly interesting, quirky and cool food from Devon and beyond she had amassed:


A pat of smoked goats milk butter, goats milk from Pitmans Farm, smoked by Country Wood Smoke

Homemade oatcakes (using the goats butter) - these were fantastic and I was really touched that she had made me something - and a combination of three different Devon foodies' creative endeavours.

Montezuma's chocolate - two bars!

A carton of totally weird soya milk stuff that looks like Ribena but obviously isn't,

Thai soup paste - that'll definitely come in handy

and probably my joint favourite (with the oatcakes) a jar of Bacon Jam - after reading Eat Like a Girl's recipe, I have been very keen to try some of this.

Plus a heap of wild garlic

and to fulfil her 'chilli and chai' legacy:

Some sachets of Pukka Chai tea (ones I hadn't tried before - hoorah)
Some mega scary 1 million scoville chillis - bit worried about them - will I just need one square millimetre for an entire curry?

What an amazing parcel of very thoughtful produce.  Thanks, to my lovely foodie penpal!

I sent this parcel of stuff to Cider with Sophie - I hope she liked it.  I enjoyed putting it together with some of my homemade chutney, lemon curd, muffins, my own blend of Ras-al-hanout spice blend, Lahloo tea, Devon fruit leather, a vinegar 'starter' and other random stuff.

This scheme is becoming a regular event, so go here if you fancy taking part, (whether you have a blog or not) and please leave a comment if you also received a parcel so I can visit and take a look.

6 comments:

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean said...

love that she sent wild garlic!! that's awesome!

Carol Anne @ Rock Salt said...

A great parcel! I didn't realise you knew each other until after I did the swap; this month I'm going to try and mix the locations up more but how great that you could have your parcel hand delivered :) Looking forward to hearing how the weird soy milk drink is.

Choclette said...

Now what a fun parcel to receive. The smoked butter sounds interesting and how lovely that you got some biscuits made out of it too. I think the only thing I've tried in that lot, other than the ramsones is the pukka green chai tea - oh - and perhaps the chocolate!

Grazing Kate said...

@Lindsay - thanks for stopping by, you must have so many lovely parcels to view. Yes the wild garlic has been great shredded on to pizzas and with some creamy potatoes.

@Carol Anne - thanks once again for arranging the whole thing. I will take part again in the coming months - not next month as I haven't got my act together but soon. It was so funny that I knew my donor - but it was very nice too.

@Choclette - you should take part - anyone would be happy to receive some of your choccy delights! Not sure what you meant by 'ramsones' - aha, it's wild garlic - I haven't heard that word before.

CountryWoodSmoke said...

Love it that you got to try some of my smoked butter too. What a lovely package you recieved.
Such a fun thing to do.
Cheers
Marcus

Anonymous said...

I couldnt have said it any better to be honest! keep up the awesome work. You are very talented & I only wish I could write as good as you do :) …