Wednesday 7 August 2013

Devon Restaurant Review: The Elephant, Torquay


Drinks in the bar beforehand


As a guest of Dobie's of Devon Seeds and The Elephant, I enjoyed a feast from the tasting menu when I visited the restaurant in July.  The tasting menu was superb and we were seated in the new conservatory, around a private dining room that has been created.  The table is glass topped and has many of the micro herbs growing within it.  The spelt bread was homemade, served warm one loaf between two and the accompaniments were rillettes, mushroom hummous and butter served in mini flower pots - lovely!


This chilled lovage vichysoisse soup with apple and celery was refreshing yet tasty



The heritage carrots course - everyone's plate was different!

A poached egg with crunchy red quinoa
                             

The hake topped with an amazing tuile of squid ink.  Very tasty

The two types of lamb - the only meat that appeared (after the rillettes with the bread)

The amazing dessert: wild mini strawberries and a coulis plus a homemade lemon verbena panna cotta plus meringue.  The pre-dessert (not pictured) featured cherries with a green water ice made from sorrel.  Amazing and perfect for the hot summers day.

Each course was enhanced by a matching wine, I won't be discussing this as I chose water!  The standard was incredibly high and everything was so beautiful.  I seem to have omitted photos of two dishes: the beetroot dish with apple mustard and elderflower - I must have just tucked in!  It was a lovely dish that was healthy and beautiful.  Also the scallops with coconut, basil and langoustine cream.  Yum.

I was a guest of Dobies and The Elephant but I was free to write anything I wished (or nothing)  for my review

4 comments:

Jenny Eatwell said...

Where is The Elephant, Kate? I've heard of it, but can't place it.

Grazing Kate said...

It's opposite Living Coasts on the front in Torquay. 3-4 Beacon Hill Torquay, Devon TQ1 2BH
01803 200044

Jenny Eatwell said...

Brilliant, thanks! :)

Wally Bell said...

Absolutely delicious. I often forget to take photos too, as I have a habit of tucking in first and thinking later.

Featured post

Taste of the Teign Food and Drink Festival 25 September - 1 October 2017

South Devon’s third year of the most exciting celebrations of local produce is Taste of the Teign Food and Drink Festival.  This f...