Wednesday 26 May 2010

Michaelmas Goose Cafe, Teignmouth - friendliest cafe in Devon?


Popped in for coffee and chinwag with lovely L at The Michaelmas Goose Cafe‎. The waitresses here always seem happy to see customers and are so friendly, it's just an all round feel good experience.

There are two weeny seats outside in the sea air (and sunshine today) and plenty more inside.  They support local food suppliers, brew Fairtrade coffee, use Riverford Organic milk and make all their cakes themselves.  I can recommend the squidgy raspberry and apricot cake (served warm) and their divine chocolate brownie.  Seriously dark, chocolatey and with no nuts (bonus).


And I went for a brief stroll along the seafront afterwards.



NB it's a sunny day and look how empty the beach is!



The Michaelmas Goose, 26 Regent Street, Teignmouth TQ14 8SJ 01626 879 000

7 comments:

Choclette said...

Agh, now that is worth knowing about - thank you. We took a trip up on the train to Teignmouth (it was a while ago) and couldn't find anywhere that looked appealing to eat. I'm with you on the unpretentious but good food when it comes to cafes,

Grazing Kate said...

I think good cafes in Teignmouth are a bit few and far between unfortunately. Wishing they could be dragged a little bit more into the 21st Century. This is definitely the pick of the bunch.

Don Pearson said...

I must try the Goose. I frequently use Oystercatcher in Teignmouth. It also has a very friendly atmosphere and is very accepting of small children.

Meredith said...

Hello! I just wanted to let you know that The Michaelmas Goose has changed...
I am a 'Goosie Lady' and have been working at the MG for just over a year now, making sandwiches and singing badly out of tune. We had our last day as The Goose just over 3 weeks ago as the business has been sold (I'm sorry!) but a new owner has taken over (she is the former Head Chef of The Carey Arms) and she has BIG plans for The Goose. We will be re-opening this Monday (August 23rd) as 'Number 26' and will be serving a selection of homemade cakes and pastries, wonderful locally sourced lite bites and mains and of course a quality selection of loose teas and coffees as well as much much more! So whether you be a regular, a 'popper-inner' or a visitor to Teignmouth, please do pop in and see us all!

Grazing Kate said...

I came home from holiday and was rather distressed to see The Goose had closed...but happy to hear the news that it will be re-opening soon. I know that a few people had gone to the cafe after reading my original blog post, so perhaps they will also see this new info.

Good luck with the new launch on the 23rd - I'll try to come in as soon as I can.

Meredith said...

Hello again! Quick update: We've had some last minute set-backs but we hope to open somewhen around this weekend so keep your eyes peeled! I will let you know the opening day when I know for definite. Many apologies to the Cafe cultured Teignmothians but our opening is imminent I promise!

Meredith said...

Hi, me again! Just to let you know that 26 will be opening on Sunday, August 29th. We're all ready for you so pop in for a cuppa and a slice of something nice!

Featured post

Taste of the Teign Food and Drink Festival 25 September - 1 October 2017

South Devon’s third year of the most exciting celebrations of local produce is Taste of the Teign Food and Drink Festival.  This f...